It’s getting colder and dustier every day as the bitter-sweet harmattan season blankets the streets of Nigeria. Harmattan season typically comes with dry, cold air and the atmosphere is foggy and dusty. These conditions can affect your skin and respiratory system if you don’t protect yourself properly.
But that’s what we are here for – to give you all the expo you need to live your best life. Here are some ways to stay protected from the harshness of the harmattan season:
1. Thick clothing: Take thick clothing with you wherever you go to protect yourself from the cold winds and generally cold weather. Hoodies, coats or jackets will work.
2. Water is your friend: Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water regularly. Research shows that the average adult female needs 11 cups (2.7 litres) to keep her body working properly. The air is much drier so stay hydrated so you don’t have dry skin or chapped lips.
3. Moisturize, people: Vaseline or shea butter is your best friend this season. Carry around a small tub in your purse, work bag or car for a quick moisturising fix on your hands.
4. Night baths: Take warm baths at night, using antiseptic in the water, particularly if you’re out and about during the day. This helps to wash off layers of dust on your skin before you sleep and helps your skin stay moisturized through the night.
5. Lip therapy: Chapped lips are never a good thing and your lips are most at risk in this weather. Lip gloss or lip balm is essential, don’t play yourself.
What are your harmattan essentials? Do you have any rituals or routines you use specifically during harmattan to maintain the glow? We want to hear all about it! Let us know in the comments section below.
This post first appeared on www.234star.com