Lagos State is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, and according to information from the world press conference held yesterday at the Banquet Hall of the Governor’s office, Lagos House, Ikeja, an interesting series of events have been lined up to mark the state’s golden jubilee.
If you are a Lagosian (living and working in Lagos), or you just love the very vibrant city, here are 11 events to look forward to from April 8 till May 27, 2017.
1. “Wakaa” The Musical – This special musical play produced and directed by ace producer and director, Bolanle Austen-Peters, will hold on April 8, 2017 at the Muson Centre, Onikan Lagos.
2. “FELA” – The three-day Broadway Musical Concert based on the life and times and the Afrobeat creator, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, will hold on April 13, 2017. The musical will be performed by a combined cast of the original Broadway production and the Royal National Theatre production under Bill T. Jones.
3. Boat Regatta Parade – A water display of culture and tradition held on the creeks and lagoons of Lagos. The event is a flotilla of brightly decorated boats which depicts aspects of the city’s socio-cultural traditions found in folklore, traditional costume Lagos residents and tourists. It will hold on April 15, 2017 the in the coastal communities of Epe, Badagry and Lagos Island.
4. Jazz Meets Fashion – A fusion of Jazz music and fashion, the event will hold on April 30, 2017, and feature Grammy award winning Jazz artistes and Nigerian musicians alongside a runway display of the evolution of fashion in Lagos State over the past 50 years.
5. Special Worker’s Day Celebration – on May 1st 2017, the state will celebrate both active and retired civil servants with a special parade in the morning at the Agege Stadium and a special dinner in the evening.
6. Lagos Loves The Cinema – on May 5, five of the highest grossing Nigerian box office movies, and five Nollywood classics would be screened to local audiences in the five divisions of the State – Ikeja, Badagry, Ikorodu, Lagos Island and Epe.
7. Lagos Dance Exhibition – a spectacular contemporary dance exhibition will hold on May 6, 2017, to celebrate the abundant talents in the state.
8. Lagos Laughs and Ibile Comedy Challenge – To commemorate the ‘World Laughter Day’, on May 7, 2017, Lagos will celebrate with 50 of it’s best stand-up comedians, while discovering new talents across its regions.
9. Lagos Carnival – A celebration of the city’s ancestry and the plurality of its identity will also hold on May 13, 2017 on both the Island and Mainland zones of the State and extend to the different communities and ethnic groups in Lagos.
10. Eyo Festival – Last staged five years ago, the Eyo festival will make a grand return on May 20, 2017 at the Tafawa Balewa Square.
11. Historic Gala Night – On May 27, which coincides with Children’s Day celebration, a historic gala night featuring a rich blend of good music, the best of Lagos cuisine, photo exhibition and the unveiling of a special coffee table book that captures the essence of Lagos through the lens of 50 accomplished photographers will hold in the state.
From music, to film, art, and dance, there’s something to interest everyone living in the state. It’s time to clear the calendars and get ready for 50 days of non-stop fun!